Saturday, October 8, 2011

Some incidents are never forgotten

It was just another evening and I was riding back to home from college on my recently purchased Pulsar 220. By the time I reach the third junction, I usually take a left and then right and enter into a slum. Yes, because its a shortcut.

Today was no different. I took that shortcut and was slowly raising the accelerator on that road which was small enough to provide room for not more than one car. Far away, I saw three kids in school uniform walking on the left side of the road. I did not think too much about them and raised my accelerator again. When I was nearing them, two guys crossed the road. The third was a girl and I thought she was waiting for me to go ahead so that she can peacefully cross and join them. Just at the moment when my bike`s front tyre, the two boys and the girl were collinear, she jumped and attempted to cross the road. I was horrified and immediately applied breaks. She fell down near my feet. The two boys rushed to get her up. I was in absolute shock. I felt some noise in my back and turned around to see a bunch of slum people with rods in their hands running towards me - Definitely, to attack me. I didnt know what to do. I moved my head up and there came another shock. The sight of Patrol Police van with 4 cops made me dumb. I lost my mind. 

With Slum people ready to attack on my back, Cops ready to do the same on my front, a girl with negligible injury crying as if she was going to die near my foot, I switched off my brain and raised the accelerator, took a turn and escaped. Or, that was what I thought. After taking 7-8 turns, I felt like a hero escaping from the furious mob. I made a mistake. I felt some light being reflected from my bike mirror and turned back to find the police van chasing me! I never thought their car would actually fit in these streets! Horrified, Petrified and fucked, I rushed through the streets randomly and aimlessly. My only goal was to escape. I felt like a ninja. I remembered all the action movies and realized that there are times in life which are just like those scenes they show in the movies. 

Next big shock was not far ahead. In fact, nothing was ahead when I took a wrong turn. It was a dead end. DEAD END, literally apt for my situation. Knowing that I could do nothing, I turned off the bike and got down. Four seconds later, the police car stopped and two cops got down. 

There were no words. One came and took away the bike. The other came and hit me hard on my ear. Then on my nose. Then everywhere on my head. 6 times. 
He dragged me and threw me into the van and closed all the doors. It was pitch dark. A few minutes later, I got down at the police station and was put in lock up. There was a black stout rowdy in my jail looking seriously at me. 
There were no words.

It was complete black out for me. I am a college student. I study engineering. What on earth am I doing in this dark room with a dark guy staring at me suspiciously? I went unconscious for about half an hour and then asked the nearest man in khaki dress for a mobile phone. (The guy who beat me took away my phone if I remember correctly)
This person was kind enough to give me his phone and also advised me to call my dad. 
Dad is not the perfect choice if you have an elder brother. I immediately called my Infosys-brother and explained him the tragic story in short. He rushed to the station with lot of cash to be given to the damaged parties. Well, the police (van driver) asked him to go to the hospital first and pay the required amount to the girls family. They charged Rs.7000/- for an injury that did not even require stitches. Another 4k went into various kaakhi pockets. 
I was released after all the financial transactions.
"My bike?" I asked in almost a dead voice.
"Come and take it on Sunday" came the reply.

One hell of a day. I managed saying a stupid story to my mom and thankfully, my dad is out of station.

- An incident that happened to a dear friend of mine, , who lives in Shivam Road, Hyderabad and studies electrical engineering in MVSR college of engineering. He narrated this whole story to me on the night of the same day, sitting in the Sai Baba temple bus stop at 11:30 PM. Believe me, I was terrified to ride back home after this sitting, though it was just 2 minutes away, as I spotted a police van nearby.

This post is dedicated to him, who by the way, got placed in Infosys :)

No comments: